I am particularly interested in stories that can riff on the below Ryan Brinkerhoff t-shirt designs.
I will consider two different story lengths each with their own payment terms:
Short: 1-3 pages in length. Payment will be $150 total for the story, payable at October 1, 2015 deadline.
Feature: 4-6 pages in length. Payment will be $300 total for the story, payable at October 1, 2015 deadline.
- Email email@example.com with the subject line “NCQ 8 Submission”
- In the body of the email please list the names and contact information for the writer/cartoonist (and artist if different) for the submission. Provide links to previous work if available.
- Attached to the email please send a one page synopsis of the story you are submitting, including the story title, artistic team, final length of the story in pages, all plot points, character descriptions and any other story elements you consider pertinent. Additional information like a complete script, character sketches are welcome, but not necessary.
- Deadline for submissions is June 30th .
Terms and Deadlines If Selected:
- Terms for Nix Comics use of the story will be (a) Creators maintain copyright on the story and grant Nix Comics the right to print up to 2000 copies of Nix Comics Quarterly #8 including the story. Subsequent use the story in any for-sale format would require Nix Comics to make an additional payment to the creators. (b) Nix Comics has permission to use any artwork submitted for advertising and promotional purposes.
- Nix Comics will send a list of specs for Nix Comics Quarterly pages on July 1st. (page size, gutter requirements, etc.)
- A complete script for the story will be due for edits by July 31st.
- Pencils or layouts for the story will be due for edits by August 30th.
- Final pages will be due October 2nd by 5:00pm. Payment will be made on October 2nd.
Tips for Submissions:
- Follow the guidelines for submission as closely as you are able. I’m a dick about it and will dismiss submissions that don’t follow the guidelines out of hand.
- Write your initial email to me as if it were a letter with a salutation, complete sentences, paragraph breaks, etc.
- Be aware that I don't normally pair writers with artists. It's not a hard and fast rule, but I'd really have to be in love with a story to mess with it.
- Do ask me questions. I’m fine with it. (That said, do not assume that my answering questions is some sort of indication of acceptance.)
- If you are already familiar with Nix Comics publications, let me know about it. I like hiring artists who are also fans.
- Be OK with rejection. I’m pretty picky and only have so much space.
- I know feedback is important to some creators and rankles others. I will provide critique on rejected material only if requested and as time permits.